Saturday, March 5, 2011

9/11 and Militant Atheism

"9/11 was the last straw!" exclaimed the atheist. I was at a local gathering of atheists, listening to a number of them explain what finally pushed them over the edge and become atheists, or if atheists, become more militant about it.

I had heard this before. Religion was the driving force of the murderous, tragic events of 9/11. Reasonable people of good will should no longer tolerate superstitious nonsense that could have such catastrophic consequences.

I see two problems with this line of reasoning. The first one is that militant atheism could eventually become the driving force of murderous, tragic events: killing off the religious for the sake of society, for example.

Second, as a 9/11 truther, I believe that the real driving force of 9/11 wasn't religion, but probably greed and the lust for power.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if militant atheists were ever persuaded that the official version of 9/11 was false. And I wonder if their hatred of religion prevents them from seeing what appears to me and over 1,450 architects and engineers to be the obvious truth.

No comments: