Thursday, August 2, 2012

An Argument for Voting

I've been in correspondence with a friend of mine who is actively involved in the Democratic party.  Naturally he disagrees with my decision not to vote, largely because he knows that if I voted it would most likely be for Democrats.  He thinks that 9/11 Truthers are a bunch of cranks.  One of his arguments was that if there was any truth to the idea that 9/11 was an inside job, the media would have exposed the conspiracy long ago.  I pointed out to him that except for a few rare cases the media have not even written about or televised the collapse of WTC 7.

But then I added, "If a Democrat had been in office when 9/11 occurred, the media would have made the collapse of WTC 7 their lead story every night."

Afterwards I thought about what I had written. I don't buy the crap about having a "liberal news media." We have a media that report whatever is good for business. Since at least FDR the media have thought that Democrats are bad for business and they do what they can to make Democrats look bad.

Now if you want a free press, a press that is willing to take on politicians in power, then you want Democrats in power. If 9/11 was indeed an "inside job," then it is much less likely that it would have happened with a Democrat in the White House. The press would have eaten him for lunch.

So I'm rethinking whether or not to vote.

No comments: