Friday, May 13, 2011

What's a Bug?

Alex Wild, known to us old ARN members as "Myrmecos," tells us that entomologists use the word "bug" in a technical sense, unlike us laypeople who apply "bug" to all sorts of little critters.

"Researchers the world over, speaking hundreds of different native tongues, all use the technical term “Hemiptera” to refer to the same group of insects [bugs]."

Yeah, but do they also call them "bugs"? Or is that just an Anglo/American thing?

No comments: